There’s been quite a lot for Liberals to celebrate this week.
On Wednesday Parliament voted in favour of Amendment 7 to the EU Withdrawal Bill, meaning that Parliament would have a say on the the future Brexit Deal. The government was defeated by just four votes!
More relevant to LibDem Expand, perhaps, was a piece of good news from America, when We woke up on Wednesday morning to hear that Doug Jones (D) had defeated Donald Trump’s candidate, Roy Moore, in Alabama. Doug Jones is now the first Democrat to hold a senate seat in Alabama for twenty five years.
There are two big lessons from Alabama for the Liberal Democrats:
- One, as Hillary Clinton tweeted, “if Democrats can win in Alabama, then we can – and must – compete everywhere”. There can be upsets even in the ‘safest’ of seats.
- And two, getting your supporters – especially under represented communities – to turn out and support you can make a huge difference. In Alabama this was black voters (and to a lesser extent, women). For many of us, EU citizens are going to be enormously important to next year’s local elections – after being denied any voice in the Referendum and subsequently.
These lessons should encourage all of us, and they go to show the importance of a ’50 State’ approach. That’s the approach that we at Liberal Democrat Expand are trying to emulate for the UK, and we need your help to make it a reality.
You can pay whatever you like when you join us as a member.
But here’s what your donation could do:
- For £10 we can run an online campaign
- For £20 we can run an online campaign and maintain our website
- For £50 we can run an online campaign, maintain our website, and make a small contribution to our Conference budget
- For £100 we can do all of the above, plus be 10% of the way towards filling our Conference budget