Deeds, not words.
International Women’s Day is a global event which celebrates the achievements of women across the cultural, economic and political. It also calls us all to action to help accelerate gender balance. This year’s theme is #BalanceForBetter, and it’s something we all have a role to play in.
In Parliament only 208 MPs are women, out of a total of 650. And this imbalance is reproduced at every level of our politics – from Council chambers, even down to our own local party execs.
On 2 May people across our country will go to the polls for the largest wave of local council elections, and next year London goes to the polls. We have some fantastic Liberal Democrat women standing as candidates. We’ve linked to their donate and volunteer pages below. Every pound donated and every hour spent can get them closer to being elected – and one by one we can improve representation in our politics.
- Siobhan Benita – Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London. Donate. Volunteer.
- Caroline Pidgeon – London Assembly (existing London Assembly member). Donate. Volunteer.
- Hina Bokhari – London Assembly. Donate. Volunteer.
- April Preston – Whitington, Manchester. Donate. Volunteer.
- Lucy Salek – London Assembly. Donate. Volunteer.
- Joyce Onstad – London Assembly. Donate. Volunteer.
- Irina Von Weise – London Assembly. Donate. Volunteer.
- Pam Windley – Tupton, North East Derbyshire. Donate.